inspired to spread the Gospel of the Church in
the Bronx, founded our parish in 1928 using two
structures as a temporary church and auditorium.
This endeavor marked the birth of St. Francis
Early on, Father Kearney recognized the need for
Catholic children to be educated in theology and
In 1929, under his leadership, the first class
of St. Francis Xavier School was enrolled and
housed in the auditorium.
A happy day for all parishioners! On September
15, 1930, seventy-two boys and girls assembled for
their first day of formal instruction the
leadership of Miss Helen Kelly, the first
The desire to provide children of the
parish with an excellent Catholic education
inspired Father Quinn, the new Pastor, and
SFX parishioners to build a permanent school
building. Ground was broken on April 11, 1937.
The Sisters of Mercy staffed
the new eight-classroom school. Joy and
excitement were felt by all!
The overwhelming growth and success of the
school and parish were evidenced by the
ever-increasing population. To insure a
Catholic education for all who came through its
doors, an annex school building was begun in
Today, our parish school is home to 325 children
from New Beginnings to Eighth Grade who continue
to receive the finest
Catholic and scholastic education available. We
rely on our past to forge ahead, meeting the
challenges and needs of the future.
We are proud of and celebrate with our many
graduates their accomplishments as successful
men and women.
Educating our children in Catholic values
continues to be the primary mission of St.
Francis Xavier School. Through the years,
the school has become a beacon of faith and
service in our ever-changing world. St. Francis
Xavier is known to all as
"A School You Can Believe